By now, most people know the benefits of learning guitar. Over the past few decades, studies have shown kids exposed to music education demonstrate improved language abilities, strengthened neural connections, and increased focus, memory, empathy, and self-confidence.
But at what age can kids start learning guitar?
Well, I’ll answer that question in this video. Plus, I’ll provide you with my top five tips to prepare your child for music lessons so they have a launching pad for success when they begin formal training.
WHAT IS THE BEST AGE FOR LEARNING GUITAR?
In my experience teaching hundreds of elementary school children how to play the guitar in the Rock Dojo’s award-winning after-school programs, I found that most kids are ready to begin music lessons at around six.
That being said, there are no hard and fast rules. However, there are some clear signs that your child is ready to begin taking guitar lessons.
- If your child is interested in playing guitar, that’s the biggest indicator that he or she may be ready to begin guitar lessons.
- Can your child focus for at least 25 minutes? If not, sitting through a guitar lesson might be challenging.
- Is your child motivated to practice? This is another significant indicator. Learning to play a musical instrument is fun and rewarding, but it’s also hard work. If your child isn’t motivated to practice regularly, then he or she may not be ready for music lessons.
5 TIPS FOR PREPARING YOUR CHILD FOR LEARNING GUITAR
- Singing: The best assets are a great work ethic and a solid musical ear when playing a musical instrument. And nothing develops the musical ear like singing. That’s because singing helps connect the body with musical pitches, intervals, and phrasing. Plus, kids don’t need any special training to sing along with their favorite songs.
- Clapping: Music is comprised of melody, harmony, and rhythm. While singing improves kids’ sense of melody, clapping will improve their rhythmic sensibilities. And as Duke Ellington said, “It don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing!”
- Dancing: Dancing takes clapping to a whole nother level. Since it involves the entire body, dancing improves kids’ sense of rhythm. Plus, dancing is fun, and isn’t that what music is all about?
- Listening to lots of different types of music: While it’s great to expose kids to musical masters like Bach and Beethoven, it’s also just as beneficial to expose kids to lots of different musical styles. Be sure to listen to great guitarists like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Jeff Beck, but what about blues, jazz, bluegrass, or even Bollywood? This area will pay off for years because many guitarists tend to be plagued by the usual influences. Listening to lots of different music gives children an edge, especially later in their lives, as they develop their distinctive styles based on their unique blend of musical influences.
- Attending live concerts: I still remember the first concert I ever attended. It was blues guitarist Clarence Spady performing live at the River Street Jazz Cafe in Plains, Pennsylvania. That concert changed my life and shaped my destiny. You can provide your children with life-changing opportunities by sharing live music. And best of all, it’s never been easier to stream live concerts directly into your living room because of the pandemic. I highly recommend the online platform StageIt for doing just that. I’ll provide a link to StageIt in the comments section.
LEARNING GUITAR: EXPLORING THE PARTS OF THE GUITAR
Dive into this fun and engaging video from Rock Dojo’s online guitar course for kids, where I’ll introduce your child to the essential components of the guitar. With dynamic visuals and lively demonstrations, we’ll examine the headstock, neck, body, strings, and tuning pegs that form their new musical companion. I’ll also share intriguing guitar trivia to spark their curiosity. By the video’s conclusion, your child will confidently identify and name each guitar part, setting the stage for their musical success. Get the Complete Series and set your child on an exciting guitar-learning adventure with Rock Dojo!
Elevate Your Child’s Musical Journey Now: Grab the Complete Series Series!
Rock Dojo’s Complete Series gives your child the ultimate guitar learning experience they deserve. Boasting expertly crafted videos, intuitive on-screen guitar tabs, engaging practice tracks, and kid-friendly student handbooks, your child will be equipped with everything necessary for success. And the cherry on top? The Complete Series delivers unbeatable value at a mere $249, equal to forty private guitar lessons. When you compare this to the staggering $2,400 in private lesson fees, it’s a clear winner. With Rock Dojo’s acclaimed history of guiding thousands of kids through our award-winning after-school program, you can rest assured that your child is in capable hands. Purchase the Complete Series today!