Each month, we highlight one or two students who rocked the hardest during our after-school group guitar classes in Portland, Oregon. Think of it as a digital fist bump to those students who practiced hardest, helped others the most, and set a positive example for their classmates.
Student of the Month Criteria
- The student comes to his/her after-school classes, private guitar lessons, or group guitar classes prepared and ready to learn.
- The student exhibits a strong command of the musical concepts being taught in class as demonstrated by earning at least two-stripes on his/her Rock Dojo colored guitar strap.
- The student is working to his/her full potential.
Leadership & Teamwork Criteria:
- The student is a positive role model.
- The student helps his/her classmates during the Rock Dojo after-school group guitar classes or at home.
- The student has a positive attitude, follows directions, and demonstrates a strong character.
Meet the Rock Dojo Students of the Month | Luke & Riley
The Rock Dojo students of the month are Luke & Riley. Over the last month, these siblings utilized the FREE lessons available on the Rock Dojo website to enhance their after-school classes at Alameda Elementary School.
During that time, Luke & Riley learned:
- How to play the open chords.
- How to play the E minor pentatonic scale.
- How to play Brain Stew by Green Day.
- How to play Minor Fives to Go, a Rock Dojo original song.
They had some advice for kids who are in the process of learning how to play the guitar. “It’s going to be hard at first,” Riley said, “but you just need to practice.”
“The first song I learned was Smoke on the Water,” Luke said. “If you want to try it out, it’s on the Rock Dojo website.” According to Luke, “it makes a great beginner’s song!”
With such positive attitudes towards practice, it’s only a matter of time before Luke and Riley earn their black belts in rock!
SIGN UP FOR AFTER-SCHOOL GUITAR LESSONS FOR KIDS
Sign up for Rock Dojo after-school guitar lessons today. Want to learn more? Check out Rock Dojo’s FAQs and learn how our colored-belt systems works (here’s a hint: it’s like karate and you graduate with a black belt). Do you have a specific question about our guitar lessons for kids? Drop us a line at (503) 484-6417.