Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to get my child a guitar for the Rock Dojo class?
If you want your child to get maximum results from his/her after-school group guitar lessons, then it’s a great idea to invest in a guitar. We recommend the following guitars, amps, and tuners for kids:
Guitar Buying Guide
- Choose between electric or acoustic.
- Electric Guitars need amp + cable.
- Nylon strings acoustic guitars are easier for small fingers.
- Choose a comfortable guitar, in good condition.
- Purchase a tuner.
That being said, most kids are dreaming of owning an electric guitar, so I highly recommend saving your money and investing an electric guitar from the get go!
What is the belt system?
Students begin at the white belt level progressing through five stages of skills and achievement. They receive a guitar strap and stripes at each level: white, yellow, green, red, and black. At each stage of the Rock Dojo, students master the skills necessary to play, perform, and compose with confidence and conviction.
How long does it take to graduate belt levels?
It typically takes kids about 9-weeks to graduate one from one belt level to the next. To do so, students must earn four stripes at each belt level. Each stripe demonstrates mastery over a specific musical concept, repertoire, or compositional technique on the guitar.
How does my child get better at playing the guitar?
- Listen to some music at home every day.
- Purchase Guitar for Kids: Rock Dojo The Complete Belt System!
- Practice. A little bit every day goes a long way.
- Have fun!
- ….. And don’t forget to celebrate your child’s achievements on the guitar!
How much should my child practice at home?
We suggest practicing 10 to 15 minutes every day with great focus. For more in-depth practice tips, check out Five Tips to Help Your Child Succeed at the Guitar.